Monday, September 14, 2026

John Brown's Raid on Harpers Ferry

John Brown and the Road to Harpers Ferry

I did not expect John Brown to feel so vivid when I started digging into his story. Most historical figures stay trapped in the past. Brown does not. He comes across like someone who walked into the nineteenth century already burning with purpose.

He grew up in Connecticut in a strict religious home. His father despised slavery. Brown absorbed that belief early. As he moved through Ohio, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York, he struggled to support his large family. He tried tanning. He tried farming. He tried wool trading. None of it worked.

What did work was his growing conviction that slavery was a sin that demanded action. Real action. Not speeches. Not petitions. Something that would shake the country.

John Brown
By 1849, Brown moved his family into a Black community in North Elba, New York. That detail struck me. It showed how deeply he wanted to live alongside the people he hoped to defend. It also showed how far outside the mainstream he already was.

Kansas changed everything. In 1855, Brown followed his sons into the Kansas Territory. The region was exploding in violence over whether it would enter the Union free or slave. Brown arrived with weapons and a sense of mission. He quickly became a leader among antislavery fighters.

When proslavery forces attacked the town of Lawrence, Brown took it personally. He believed he had a divine duty to respond. Three days later, he led a nighttime raid at Pottawatomie Creek. Five proslavery men were dragged from their homes and killed. It was brutal. It made Brown famous. It also made him feared.

Reading about that moment, I kept thinking about how far he had crossed the line. He was no longer just an abolitionist. He was a militant.

In 1858, Brown met with supporters in Canada. He laid out a plan to create a stronghold in the mountains of Maryland and Virginia. It would be a base for enslaved people escaping bondage. He even drafted a provisional constitution. His backers, known later as the Secret Six, believed in him. They funded him. They did not fully understand how far he intended to go.

By the summer of 1859, Brown was living in a rented farmhouse near Harpers Ferry. He gathered twenty one men. Some were Black. Some were white. Two were his sons. His goal was simple. Seize the federal armory. Arm enslaved people. Start a revolution.

On the night of October 16, he struck. Brown captured the armory and took hostages. He waited for enslaved Virginians to join him. They did not. Local militia surrounded him. By morning, U.S. Marines under Colonel Robert E. Lee stormed the building. Brown was wounded. Ten of his men were killed. The raid collapsed.

Brown was tried for murder, slave insurrection, and treason. He was hanged on December 2, 1859. John Wilkes Booth stood in the crowd as a militiaman.

Brown failed to spark the uprising he imagined. Yet his impact was enormous. His calm, moral defense during the trial turned him into a martyr for the antislavery cause. Victor Hugo wrote that Brown’s execution would split the Union. Union soldiers later marched into battle singing “John Brown’s Body.”

When I think about Brown now, I see someone who forced the nation to confront the violence of slavery by making his own violence impossible to ignore. His raid did not start the Civil War. It made the war feel unavoidable. That is why John Brown still matters. He lit a fuse the country could no longer put out.


AI DISCLOSURE: AI was used in a limited way in the assignment. I did research and took note on the topic, I then personalized those notes by adding my point of view, for example, things I learned or found surprising.  I than used Claude.AI to help me clean up the text for grammar spelling and punctuation, and I also asked the tool to help me shape it into the form of a blog post.  I then edited the text added links and added images with end captions.



No comments:

Post a Comment

William Lloyd Garrison: Town Hall Meeting

  William Lloyd Garrison My fellow Americans, I am grateful to stand among those who have devoted themselves to the cause of human freedom. ...